Fundamental Drills and Mechanics for Successful Sprinting
In stock! FREE Shipping.Our price is always the lowest price
allowed by the manufacturer!
with Adrian Wheatley, University of Illinois Men's Assistant Track and
Field Coach (sprints/hurdles); 2013 USTFCCA Indoor Men's Assistant of the Year
for the Midwest Region; 2x All-American runner at the University of Tennessee
Adrian Wheatley, architect of the University of Illinois' powerful sprint
program, explains the components behind a successful sprinter. At the 2014 Big
Ten Outdoor Track Meet, Illinois had two finalists in every sprint and hurdle
event with Coach Wheatley's athletes scoring 74 of the team's 109 points. Their
effort helped the squad to a second-place finish, the team's highest finish in
Coach Wheatley shares 50 plus drills he uses develop championship sprinters.
He explains the work behind the progression of the drills used, how the drills
work, and the goals of each drill. Coach Wheatley uses these drills to teach
- new sprint techniques to develop a successful runner
- how to test and evaluate the successful athlete
- sound fundamentals and mechanics behind a successful sprinter
- how to plan a training session and/or a training season
- how to break down the acceleration, max velocity, and finish components
behind the sprint
Highlights from Coach Wheatley's presentation include:
- Warm-up program - Coach Wheatley and All-American Hurdler/Sprinter
Vanier Joseph demonstrate a series of warm-up exercises to prepare athletes
for the day's workout.
- The Dynamic Flex series - Exercises that specifically target the muscles
and body movements that sprinters use, and double as excellent
sprint-specific strength exercises.
- Max velocity drills - Specific coaching points to teach athletes proper
position and body mechanics for effective sprinting. Coach Wheatley also
shows you how to correct common errors in sprinting form.
- Athletic Evaluation - Numerous tests to evaluate your athlete's
improvement and add interest to practice. You'll also see drills that will
improve athletes' strength and power.
- Block set-up introduction - Learn how to "spot" proper block set-up,
which allows an athlete to be powerful out of the blocks
- Proper cool-down for your athlete - along with supplementary information
on proper nutrition and rest to keep your athletes healthy and progressing.
Fundamental Drills and Mechanics for Successful Sprinting is an excellent
resource for coaches who want to increase their knowledge of the sprints. The
many drills and exercises will not only advance your coaching knowledge but will
also add interest and variety to your practices. Coach Wheatley's expert
instruction will make you a better sprint coach. 62 minutes. 2015.